L’Hermitage was a large plantation that was established in the late 1700s by the Vincendiere family to reflect the Caribbean slave system in Frederick County. Local authorities, however, did not favor their approach because of their treatment of the slaves. L’Hermitage was sold in 1827. After that time, there never again was a sizable slave population at the farm. In 2001, archeologists confirmed the location of the slave village. Buildings and artifacts unearthed at the site shed light on the dark past and helped tell the stories of the people who toiled there. MAS members volunteered at this site for several seasons and helped the professional archeologists. Read more.