Photographs are from the Archeological Society of Maryland.
The Biggs Ford prehistoric village site is one of the most significant archeological sites in Frederick County. This possibly palisaded settlement was occupied by peoples of the Montgomery Complex (1000-1450 A.D.) and the Luray Complex (1300-1500 A.D.). Initial excavations were undertaken in 1970 and additional excavations were conducted from 2013 to 2015 at the site that defined the occupations and yielded thousands of artifacts. MAS members volunteered throughout the course of these excavations. In 2018, the site was visited again for several days by professional archeologists who conducted a remote sensing survey of the site. Members helped the professionals during this study. Read more.